Sunday, July 5, 2009

May 09 Road trip to the Family Wheat Ranch


With my gal pal Lenora as sidekick. Here she is....carefully picking her way down from the tippy top of Steptoe Butte, where she was taking pictures. One of our sightseeing stops along the way.

Purpose: to take photos out at the pioneer cemetary in Farmington, WA where pioneer James Logan, my great-great-grandfather is buried, along with his wife and two daughters. He homesteaded in 1875, bringing his family up from the Willamette Valley where they had come by wagon train. The 720-acre "ranch" (as the family refers to it) grows wheat, lentils, and barley, and is still in the family.

Our little road trip led us up from Kennewick, north towards Spokane, east from Connell and through Washtucna where *I* bought a jeans-made apron to add to my collection and for my use!

Although the postmistress in the one-room post office of Farmington didn't know exactly how to get to the cemetary outside of town, luckily she pointed out the mayor who was just entering *her* office up the street in the building that housed the postage-stamp library. Not only did Mayor Laura give good directions to the cemetary, she also directed my attention to three D-ring-stuffed binders of family history data and photos collected by a local lady. WAY too much to look through on a one-day road trip. I'll definitely have to go back on *the* day the library is open.

Absolutely gorgeous day and perfect for wandering through the cemetary. After doing so, we hopped back into my little yellow "bumble bee" car and toodled down the road, west, into Tekoa where I had heard a new little eatery had opened. Indeed it had, and was it yummy. A real "find." http://www.artisancafe.com/ Delish homemade bread especially.

Time, next, for the other stop on our itinerary: Steptoe Butte. For the view of the Palouse! I had forgotten how high up it is to the top--especially when it came time to drive back down. Round and round with no guard rail. Lenora talked me down, literally. "Put the car in the lowest gear, don't ride the brake, and we'll just go back down slowly." Obviously, we made it. :)

Home by supper time. Not too hot of a day, not too cold. Perfect. Great companion. Good trip. Photos....will be posted somewhere; I'll let you know where!

No comments:

Post a Comment